Statement of Lesbians And Gays Laban kAy Gloria (LAGLAG)
We, the individual members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, have banded together to call for the resignation of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo based on the following points:
1. Failure to answer for the extra-judicial killings of more than 800 human-rights activists and journalists;
2. Electoral sabotage in the form of the Hello Garci scandal and the P720-million fertilizer scam;
3. Failure to stop the $329-million NBN-ZTE deal of whose anomalous nature she was already appraised of;
4. Abduction and attempts to silence the whistle-blowers in cases of graft and corruption; and
5. Executive orders that prevent government people from serving as witnesses in Senate hearings, curtail the people's right to assembly, and infringe on the people's right to complete information.
We envision a society that practices non-discrimination in all forms, especially that of sexual orientation. We envision a society that includes the full participation of everybody, especially the poor and marginalized sectors of society. We envision a society with a level playing field, where the tentacles of friends and relatives do not reach into the very heart of leadership itself. We envision a society whose leadership has integrity, dignity, and respect for the people, and for the position it holds.
The present leadership of Mrs. Arroyo has failed us in these counts. It is time to go. It is time to let the people free.
Rally at Liwasang Bonifacio this Friday. 4-7 pm.