Tuesday, 30 September 2008
Long before he exposed the double appropriation in 2008 budget for a road in the vicinity of the development project of Senate President Manuel Villar’s company, we got word about Sen. Panfilo Lacson’s supposed “other” plan for 2010.
A person in Lacson’s inner circle says that some quarters are convincing the senator to leave the Senate mid-term and run for governor of Cavite in 2010, instead of renewing his bid for the presidency.
Another source in the Lacson camp denied (though not to death, so far) the information, saying that fielding Lacson for governor of his home province “never crossed our dirty minds.”
If efforts to convince Lacson to give the governorship a try are true, then the only reason we can think of is that some political camps cannot find as of now somebody who can prevent a Remulla from re-taking the capitol in Trece Martires.
That brings us to our theory that Lacson’s volley of accusations against Villar could be hitting two birds in one stone. If he’s running for president against Villar, then he’s scoring points to cast doubts on Villar’s integrity.
If Lacson would be pitted against a Remulla in Cavite, then his tirade against Villar can hurt as well the Remullas, who are Villar’s fellow Nacionalistas. The Nacionalista spokesperson is Gilbert Remulla (former congressman of the second district), the congressman of the third district is his brother Boying, and the one positioning to run for governor is another brother, Jonvic.
In his privilege speech, where Lacson identified other double-appropriations for road projects that could benefit Villar’s projects, some of the projects named are in Cavite—the Aguinaldo Bridge, the Tagaytay-Silang Road, and the Molino Boulevard.
Lacson said that in making those revelations, he had “no political motive whatsoever.” He told Villar: “Walang kinalaman sa pagtakbo mo sa 2010 nor with your Senate presidency.”
Let’s see when everybody has filed his certificate of candidacy.